Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Is a Messy Desk a Sign of a Messy Mind?: An Introduction



"If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is
an empty desk a sign?" - Albert Einstein

I have kept a messy desk my entire life when I think back all the way to when I first had a desk. I think it was third grade when it started. My teacher liked to play tricks on the class when we were away; wrapping the desks in plastic wrap and turning them over, and so on (he blamed a paper spider that hung from a light). One time he filled my desk with thousands of dried beans. I left them there for the remainder of the year…

In graduate school my desk was in a block with three of my greatest friends and we were all such a mess that one could not see where one desk ended and the other began.

Now I find myself in a professional setting as a real Intern Architect and I cannot seem to break the habit. I’m going to go ahead and blame the fact that I work on no less than four projects at one time, but really I can’t seem to function any other way.

Donning my cubicle I have pictures of my friends, my husband and our travels. I have memories from graduate school that I never want to forget and quotes that inspire me when I have time to read them. I have honors and accolades from my diploma to winning 2nd place in the Chili Cook Off last year. I have a page of red lines that is so colorful it looks like modern art and renderings from 3dsMAX reminding me that I probably already forgot what I learned.

My desktop is ever changing from piles of drawings to specs to details and product samples that rotate on an hourly basis. There is always at least one coffee cup (at the moment there are three), a bottle of water and a ball jar coated with a day old smoothie. If you move enough paper you would generally find anything you might be in search of, except for a pen. That is the one thing that is never where I left it.

Forbes Magazine recommends that I set a weekly appointment to clean and that if I don’t keep clean others will view me as something I’m not. You can ask anyone I work with that I get my work done and done well. Just because my desk is unorganized doesn’t mean my planner is. I prefer to read the articles stating that a messy desk is a sign of genius. If that is actually the case then I work with mostly geniuses. If you are of the same messy breed search for the topic on the internet and you will find loads of validation.  

What are your thoughts on a cluttered desk? Messy mind or brilliant mind?

Mess and clutter isn’t the only thing I am an expert in, though some may disagree. I am an expert Intern Architect. What does that mean exactly? It means I, like other Intern Architects, go through the days learning more than our brains can handle, striving to be the best while keeping our sanity (and our loved ones) and strangely always wanting more. Someday I will reach Architect status, but not until I can find my pen…
Copyright Liz S. @ Shive-Hattery

8 comments:

  1. Just stumbled upon this through the Website. This is fun. Keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm...a good deal of the clutter in your photo I believe is mine. There should probably be a rule about letting two geniuses share a cubicle. Want to borrow a pen though?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those people with overly clean and organized workspaces should be viewed with suspicion. Do they not have enough to do? Are they afflicted with debilitating OCD? Or they might be witches. Keep a close eye on them...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could tell you that as you get more experience, get that registration, and get a little longer in the tooth that you will learn how to effectively organize that desk so that it will be neat and orderly and that you'll always know where that pen is. I could tell you that...but that would be a lie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. a messy desk is a sign of a BUSY desk owner...not that I speak from experience, or do I. Let's just remember a known genius made an excellent point regarding his fellow counterparts.

    thank you great blogger! looking forward to more!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it just a sea of messy up there? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Blog, found you through Buzz. I know all about the messy desk, and I must say that while I like the look of the clean desk, I feel much more at ease when I have a few piles of paper laying around. :) And I'm convinced that my desk eats pens.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Clutter is often due to several reasons: 1) Procrastination, 2) Inability to prioritize, 3) hoarding. None of these is a positive mental trait.

    The one exception is when an object is of such importance and size that it cannot be easily organized. Those blueprints, for example, are always going to be large and unwieldy. Perhaps technology will allow us to eventually work with blueprints in a completely virtual environment. I personally am trying to eliminate all paper in my life so that everything I have is digitized. I refuse to accept anything on paper anymore, or else if forced to, will scan and destroy the original document.

    With that said, try not to keep more than one or two of anything. Ask for digital versions of all content. Set up a common area to read blueprints in. And ask management to purchase an industrial strength scanner (with sheet feeder) so that you can get rid of paper.

    ReplyDelete