Monday, February 25, 2013

How did I Forget the Portfolio!?!

I bet you all thought I forgot my portfolio at a job interview in the past, didn't you? Well, no I didn't.

I was reminded recently that I left out one of the most important aspects to applying for a job in architecture...the portfolio. I don't know how I could have left it out since I worked on mine for years before I thought it was in a state to show. Having just pulled it out of my trunk the other day (I never removed it after my interview at Shive-Hattery over a year ago; I just knew it was the place for me) I should say a few words.
Copyright Liz S.

My advice about portfolios is the age old saying that less is more. In that, I mean two things:

1. Don't be afraid of white (or black) space; let the beauty of your work fill the page with a single image.

Filling it entirely with multiple images will clutter the page and can confuse the viewer as to what they should focus on. Text is also a no-no in my book. If you did the project well it should speak for itself.

2. Only put your best work in your portfolio.

I have never shown anyone what I didn't my first year in architecture school simply because it was terrible. I wouldn't hire me if I had.

I kept my portfolio to 4 or 5 architectural projects and 1 or 2 art projects that were related to my architectural work. I believe that diverse, non-architectural work should be included. It shows you can think visually and that you have more depth to your abilities. Just as impoartant is showing a variety of skills from hand drawings to computer skills to model building.

Copyright Liz S.

Note: Be sure to give anyone credit that you worked with...it's just the right thing to do.

If you look around on the site I provided you will also notice that I have a section of samples. Samples are great when you are sending resumes out and want to highlight your portfolio without actually sending the entire work. It should be just as eye-catching at the portfolio and clear. Here, I add text to begin to explain what they are looking at, but that should be minimal.

These are really my opinions based on experiences and I would love it if those who evaluate portfolios on a regular basis would chime in as to what makes a portfolio worth exploring.

No comments:

Post a Comment