Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Let Them Eat Cake!

finecooking.com
This article really caught my eye at the right time.

I've had some serious writers block as a result of lots to do at work and even more to do at home.

This was of particular interest to me because I have grown up with a mother that has become a serious sculptor of cakes and candy amongst friends and family and now beyond.

I will never forget the castle she crafted for my (maybe) 4th birthday out of sugar ice cream cones, cake, icing, coconut and green food coloring. To my princess-loving eyes, it was a real palace!

The article reminded me that architecture is just as sculptural and cake and candy creation has roots in architecture. Balance and beauty play a role in both and require a great deal of care and planning to execute.

I am not saying that either must literally look like a sculpture, but both conceptual ideas are carved out of space; made of up voids and solids to create a form that stands and looks...good enough to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment