Wednesday, July 24, 2013

It's a Bird! It's a Plane! No! It's a Tornado!


About 4 weeks ago I had a baby. 

This was no ordinary delivery.  With a clap of thunder and a flash of lightening came my son! What I didn't expect to come was a tornado. 

As I was wheeled through the nursery on the way to my postpartum room a calm announcement came over the intercom: "Attention staff. There is a tornado warning in the county. Please follow tornado procedures. Thank you". 

And as fast as that original flash of lightning I was pushed into a supply closet, bed and all (see photo), while the babies in the nursery were pushed into another with a nurse for each in tow. 

While I'm really glad I was not in labor at that moment (2 other women were) I wondered what if I was!? The threat of a tornado is not something you think is going to strike whilst giving birth, but it clearly happens. 

As an intern architect I'm not sure that I've really thought about tornado safety in the projects I have touched (don't worry, the actual architect did), you bet I will from now on! 

In the case of a hospital I imagine it's as much about the procedures as it is the design. A woman in labor certainly isn't going to stop pushing, put shoes on and take the stairs to the basement. They will continue laboring and relocate to the hallway or the labor room without windows carefully thought out for this exact moment. 

This is a huge shout-out to the nurses and doctors that made us feel safe. I wish I could name you because you are truly amazing, but instead I will take the opportunity to just remind designers that the unthinkable happens. Are our buildings ready for it?

No comments:

Post a Comment