Monday, May 20, 2013

Congratulations Class of 2013!

I've lived in college towns my entire life. I grew up in Lawrence, Kansas, a place I will always call home. What I didn't notice when I lived there was the change in the city when the college kids left for the summer (maybe they didn't, Lawrence IS pretty awesome). Now that I am in my 3rd/4th college town it's a magical moment. This day, the day after they all leave, I sigh in relief. I get my city back. It's is very lively in the summer, but it's mostly made up of families and professionals enjoying the free music and weekend festivals.

This is not intended to go on about the reason I love summer, but to say: Congratulations to the Class of 2013! I mostly speak to the architecture students who are also sighing in relief that they didn't have to go into studio this past weekend other than to clean up; what a wonderful feeling isn't it? I remember not really knowing what to do with myself; studio becomes so much a part of you that it's hard to leave it.

I hope you recent graduates are met with many opportunities for either a summer internship to get your foot in the door or a full time job that you're so excited about you decided not to even take a week off just to do nothing.

Not long ago the unemployment rate for the architecture profession was 13.9%, the worst of any profession...I can't seem to find a change in that statistic, but I can tell you there are far more jobs out there than there were when I graduated. So don't be discouraged if you're having trouble landing your dream job; these things take time.

If, after those 5 years of grueling studios and endless late nights, you find yourself not terribly interested in working in architecture anymore, that's OK. I went to school with a guy who, upon graduating with a Masters in Architecture, decided he'd rather be a math teacher. Life takes us down funny paths that sometimes don't make any sense at the time.

If you need some job search advice look to my earlier post about job hunting and go spend some time with your career services team; they're there all summer long to help you. But most of all enjoy your summer...I know I will!

Congrats!

No comments:

Post a Comment