Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Architecturally "Tuned In"

As I was working on a wall section today I found myself lost in song. No, I wasn't singing, but I couldn't stop myself from moving to the music. (In case you're wondering the song was "Holly" by STRFKR).

I look around now and notice that I am probably just one of two or three people "tuned in" out of the 15 architects in my office, and looking like a dancing fool. I usually see more...headphones not fools.
It got me thinking about those of us who pretty much have headphones attached to our ears all day long and why we do it.

In architecture school I would listen to Radiohead all the time, I mean hour after hour, day after day, year after year, rarely straying. It released so much creativity from within for some reason.

I didn't listen to music when I first started my job, but I put my ear buds in one day to drown out the sound of people chewing their food (nothing grosses me out more) and I haven't removed them since. Music has been a source of concentration and a contributing factor to an upbeat (pun intended) attitude; and I fear that if I take it away I won't get anything done.

I am reminded of all the articles going around, after the CEO of Yahoo said come to the office or quit, regarding the workplace environment and if employers are being too harsh. Well, my employer is not when it comes to allowing each of us to be individual and work in an environment that brings out our best work. So I should say thank you!

These days I frequent Sleigh Bells Pandora station and always go back to Radiohead when I need a boost.

Do you "tune in" while you work? Does it give you inspiration? What do you listen to?

1 comment:

  1. The Old CurmudgeonMarch 19, 2013 at 6:48 AM

    For some of us, listening to music or whatever will not work! We have people sneaking up on us to ask questions and solve problems.

    My hearing is bad enough that half the time I do not know they are there. So they scare a few more years out of me - and I do not have any extra years to spare!

    ReplyDelete